Have you noticed the recent changes in the Fusion 360 help? I know the help team was tired of hearing from me and I’ve heard many of you talk about some of the problems when using the help. When using the API you’re very dependent on the help so any problems quickly becomes apparent. The help team has continually chipped away at the known issues and with a big change that appeared a couple of weeks ago I think all of the issues have now been addressed.
One of the big problems, and the one they fixed a couple of weeks ago is that the table of contents and the current topic were a single scrollable window. When the list of API objects is open in the table of contents, it’s a long list and makes the window very long. To see a particular topic you would scroll down to find the topic you wanted, click the topic and it would switch to that topic but it would also jump to the top so you could see the topic. To choose an adjacent topic in the table of contents you would have to scroll back down again, click it and have it jump to the top. Now the table of contents is a separate scrollable area from the content topic, as shown below so now you can use the table of contents without it scrolling to the top. It’s much easier to use now.
I want to thank the help team for their efforts in fixing the help platform.
The content that displays on the right-hand side I control (except for some of the styling), so if you find any issues in the content itself, you can direct those to me and I’ll take the blame. I did figure out some css issues recently that were causing me to lose some desired formatting and that’s also been fixed but there is always room for improvement in both the content itself and how it’s displayed so I’m always interested in suggestions in how we can make it better.
A partner notified me about a problem he had found with my Attribute Helper add-in that I wasn’t aware of. He told me that if you have the new “Interactive Tutorial” and “Attribute Helper” add-ins both loaded, then Inventor will crash when you shut it down with the dialog below.
As I said, I wasn’t aware of the problem but had a good idea of the cause. I wasn’t following my own advice from this post almost a year ago. I made the changes recommended there so that my Deactivate method of the add-in went from this:
Public Sub Deactivate() Implements Inventor.ApplicationAddInServer.Deactivate ' Release objects. Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(g_inventorApplication) g_inventorApplication = Nothing
If Not m_attributeButtonDef Is Nothing Then Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(m_attributeButtonDef) End If
If Not m_UIEvents Is Nothing Then Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(m_UIEvents) m_UIEvents = Nothing End If
System.GC.WaitForPendingFinalizers() System.GC.Collect() End Sub
Public Sub Deactivate() Implements Inventor.ApplicationAddInServer.Deactivate ' Release objects. m_attributeButtonDef = Nothing m_UIEvents = Nothing End Sub
With that change, the crash went away. I hadn’t published a new version of the “Attribute Helper” add-in for a couple of years so I’ve made this change and created a new installer. You can get the latest version of “Attribute Helper” here. After installing make sure that you’re running the latest version by checking that the version is 2.6, as shown below.
And if attributes are new to you, you can learn more about what they are here. The source code for the add-in is also available on GitHub.