I’ve posted similar material previously but this is more complete and up to date. The attached paper and code is from a presentation at this past Autodesk University. I believe the paper can be used by itself and is not dependent on you having been at the presentation. The primary focus is on someone that’s now using VBA and would like to move to add-ins, although it will also serve as a good general introduction for anyone that wants to learn more about add-ins.
The paper tries to answer the following questions:
- What is an Add-In?
- Why would you want to create an Add-In?
- How do you create an Add-In?
- How do you convert your VBA macros?
- How do you execute an Add-In command?
- How do you debug an Add-In?
- How do you deploy an Add-In?
The languages used are VB Express 2008 and Visual Basic from Visual Studio 2008. It also covers the differences you’ll run into between VBA and VB.Net.